Thursday, April 1, 2010

Dessert for Dinner? It must be April First!

Life can be so serious. And as parents the weight of teaching our children about healthy eating can be daunting.

Thank goodness for the fun of creating family traditions! A few years ago I decided to throw my kids a curve ball and surprise them with dessert for dinner on April Fool's Day. The delight they felt when they came in and saw a table laden with doughnuts and cookies and other treats didn't come close to what I was feeling about their reaction.
They had forgotten about my little "trick" by the next April, and so I got to experience their surprise a second time. Now this little break from our normal routine is anticipated and has become a family tradition. And Kev and I have fun coming up with new ways to inject a little bit of surprise.

This year? We decided on an ice cream sundae bar.

And they were thoroughly delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment